The Lead Developer role works alongside other members of Development and QA team to develop, enhance and maintain the company’s solutions for the Finance and Retail sectors. They will work in a small team and must be able to work well as part of a team and on their own. The role is responsible for both problem solving and identifying and implementing solutions. The role will also work closely with the Technical Architects to provide technical expertise to project teams and to give guidance on the product.
The Lead Developer will need to have a good grasp and understanding of a variety of technologies, including our core technologies (.Net and Uniface depending on the area worked), SQL and Oracle along with an architectural mind and the ability to architect solutions.
Good problem-solving skills are needed on a daily basis and it is important for the role to be proactive and work autonomously. The Lead Developer role must be willing to challenge others in the team and across the business to ensure that the solutions designed are the best fit for the product and project. The Lead Developer will need to ensure that appropriate levels of communication are used, adhering to the processes and standards in place within the business and that work is delivered on time and to the highest quality.
There will be occasions where the role will be expected to attend meetings with the management team and as such will need to build a good working relationship with this team. Additionally, the role may be required to take on the planning tasks for smaller projects or to support a Project Manager when appropriate.
The Lead Developer will need to be able to handle the dynamic nature of the industry, all members of the development team must be able to work in a fast paced, quick changing environment, responding to client requirements quickly and efficiently.
- Managing one or more processes on behalf of the Technical Manager, reporting any process, measurements and policing information to the Technical Manager and wider business, where required
- Taking the technical lead on projects, performing development and looking after several other developers, assisting them with bringing the assigned work within budget and to a high standard of quality
- Acting as an escalation point to assist with resolving issues for Senior Developers and in turn escalating any unresolvable issues raised to the Technical Lead, Technical Architect or Technical Manager where necessary
- Assisting with client engagements, both at the office and on-site, where technical expertise is required and communicate effectively, efficiently and professionally. (e.g. Presentations, Demonstrations and Client Workshops
- Reviewing requirements, functional specification documentation and technical design documentation including providing feedback to the Analysis and Consultancy team to help improve future specifications
- Creation of technical design documentation in accordance with the design practices laid out by the Technical Architect and Technical Manager with sufficient detail to allow Developers, Seniors and Leads to work from them autonomously.
- Mentoring other members of the development team and project team to ensure that software of the highest quality, that complies with development standards, is produced promoting developer best practice and developer excellence
- Work closely with the Technical Lead, Technical Architect & Technical Manager to determine & implement the strategic direction of the products that we bring to the market
- At least 4+ years’ experience and a proven track record of developing commercial software in a programming language relevant to the business
- Experience of developing commercial software using the up to date versions of the relevant technology frameworks (e.g. Microsoft .Net or Uniface
- A good understanding of the whole Software Development life cycle (SDLC)
- Experience of working with a scalable n-Tier software architecture
- Experience of one or both of: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 or higher and Oracle 11gR2 or higher PL/SQL
- A good understanding of database transaction processing
- Commercially aware in day to day tasks and client engagements
- Delivery focused attitude to meet demanding timescales and deliverables
- Proactive can do, can think attitude to the job to set an example for others.
- Good time management and resource management skills
- Knowledge of the technologies and methodologies listed below would be beneficial:
- .Net C#, ASP.NET (Version 4.5 or Higher), MVC (Version 5.0)
- .Net WCF, .Net Web Api, RESTful Api, SOAP Web Services
- SQL Server (2008 R2 or Higher), T-SQL, DBMS Administration
- Oracle (11gR2 or Higher), PL/SQL, DBMS Administration
- Visual Studio (2012 or Higher), StyleCop, FxCop
- UNIFACE (v9.4 or higher, v9.7 preferred)
- TFS, Sub Version, GitHub
- Waterfall, Agile, SCRUM, Kanban, Scrumban
With 40 years’ experience in delivering successful, commercial software projects, you will benefit from working within a stable and robust small business environment.
Our innovative and flagship loan management solution, Financier, works with a breadth of clients spanning all areas of the highly regulated financial services sector. Our clients include FTSE 100 companies such as Next PLC plus blue-chip organisations such as Shop Direct, FGH, JD Williams and Express Gifts, typically serving between 2 to 3 million consumers.
Fill out the form with reference to the role you wish to
apply for. Or, if there isn’t anything that fits the bill right
now, feel free to introduce yourself and we’ll consider
you for future openings
Strictly no agencies!